In this article we will learn how to use network bridge in order to configure and assign Public IP Fail over to the VM to access the internet.
How to add IP On VM using Hyper-v ?
Make sure you have the following Requirements:
- Dedicated Server with Windows Server 2012 or later .
- One Failover IP and MAC address of the fail-over IP.
Apply these steps to start adding the VM to your IP:
Create Virtual Switch on Main Server Hyper-V
- Run IPconfig/ALL command to get all IP Configurations on the main server.
- Create New Virtual Switch In the Hyper-V Manager.
- Set your Connection Type to External.
- Choose the Adapter Associated with your server’s IP.
- Check Allow Management OS to share this network Adapter.
Add Virtual MAC Address of The VM on Hyper-V
After that you can change the settings of the VM that hosted on your server by adding the MAC address of the Fail-Over IP, “Please Note that the VM server status should be shutdown“.
- Choose the VM Server that you want to edit.
- To edit Virtual Machine Properties Click VM Settings.
- Expand the network Adapter of the VM and click Advance Features.
- Set the MAC address to “Static” and enter the fail-over virtual MAC address .
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Configure the Network Adapter inside the VM Windows Server
Here we will start configuring the VM network adapter to assign the IP and Gateway and DNS Server.
- Start the VM and login as administrator.
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Share Center.
- Click the Ethernet Link connections.
- Press the properties to view Ethernet properties.
- Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click the Properties button to show IPv4 Properties.
- Now from the IPv4 Properties select use the following IP address.
- Add the IP and subnet details.
- Reboot the VM server to let the changes get affected.