What Is WHM?
WHM (Web Host Manager) is an administrative access tool for the backend of the cPanel account. With WHM, user can create a cPanel account to avail hosting accounts. Also Users can easily manage many a light to heavy sites with the help of WHM. Moreover, one can sell hosting services and manage multiple cPanel with the option to modify, upgrade or even downgrade an account and monitor usage of bandwidth as well.
WHM allows users to access DNS zones of all the domains. It also allows users to create, delete and suspend cPanel accounts. Apart from its ability to configure and support customer requests through the cPanel. It also allows users to change domain and usernames of clients. With a total backend control over cPanel. WHM has many other benefits for Virtual Private Servers and Dedicated servers. As well they can be enlisted as follows:
- WHM allows users to install and manage SSL certificates with ease.
- It allows assignment and whitelisting of IP addresses.
- With WHM, one can get access to all the accounts inside. In addition to this, it also allows one to change the ownership of the account, in case an account is sold or deleted.
- Clients can receive newsletters, updates and deal upgrades via WHM.
- WHM allows other websites to brand themselves with different WHM skins.
- It also monitors the status of the server and resources.
What Is cPanel?
cPanel is an online control panel that helps users manage Linux hosting service. With the help of cPanel, a user can control administrative tasks of hosting. For example, creating a website, creating and managing emails, resetting passwords, setting mail forwards, managing add-on domains and subdomains. In addition, uploading and managing files etc.
cPanel allows users to manage files with ease. Its simple GUI ( graphic user interface) acts as an enabler for managing system admins when you are not looking to use a website builder. This has made cPanel user-friendly in comparison to its peers and competitors. For the want of explaining its pluses in details, here is a list of the same:
- Allows you to add on domains. And manage email according to hosting plans.
- Gives control over FTP accounts to upload, delete or move files on the server.
- Provides users with web related stats. Like visitors/month through AWS stats.
- Numerous add-ons and APIs with Softaculous integration. That allows users to download WordPress, Joomla or Drupal updates.
- Ensures that your data is secure along with backup and recovery options. All this without compromising on scale.
- Much economical in comparison to Windows.
Structure of WHM & cPanel Users Based on Permissions
1.Server Administrator Panel (Root Access to WHM)
- Root user is the top tier and highest-level user. Which is the server administrator that has a complete access to the server.
- Also It can control over all WHM functions.
- Modify global server settings as well as customize settings for users with more limited privileges.
- Each server has only one root user.
2.Reseller Panel (WHM)
- The Reseller user is subordinate to the server administrator.
- Reseller user has limited set of features compared to root user.
- The server administrator limits it to features that affect reseller client accounts but not the entire server.
- Reseller access is provided through the Reseller Panel (WHM) where they can manage all of their resell accounts.
- The reseller also has access to all accounts created (“resell”).
- Reseller privileges are set by the server administrator.
- There can be multiple Resellers per server.
3. Main Reseller cPanel
- In cPanel you can manage the hosting account under your main domain.
- From the main cpanel account, you can access the main domain name after you sign up for a Reseller package.
- Login details for this cPanel coincide with WHM account details.
If you need to reset the WHM password, it is required to reset the main cPanel account password, and they will both synchronize.
4. cPanel account (Resold)
- Resold accounts are owned by the Reseller Panel (WHM).
- In Reseller Panel (WHM) you can create manage and maintain the Resold accounts